You are in: Churchill College
The Maersk Mc-Kinney Møller Centre for Continuing Education was built with a gift of approximately £10 million to Churchill College. The money was donated by the A.P. Møller & Chastine Mc-Kinney Møller Foundation, a Danish institution, set up in 1953 by shipping magnate A. P. Møller. The Foundation makes contributions to good causes, especially those involving national heritage, shipping, industry and science.
A.P. Møller's son, Maersk Mc-Kinney Møller (pictured right) was contacted in 1988 by Churchill College who were looking for funding to build additional postgraduate student accommodation. Maersk was keen to support a development at Churchill College in memory of Winston Churchill and because of the College's tradition of excellence in the fields of science and engineering.
Mr Møller felt that Denmark's safety during the Second World War and prosperity afterwards, had depended on Churchill's personal involvement. When war broke out Maersk ships were turned over to the British authorities to assist in the War effort, and Churchill was swift to ensure the company was paid compensation at the end of the war. Over the years the Foundation has funded many projects in the name of Churchill.
Mr Møller proposed the concept of a 'Centre for Excellence' which would include meeting rooms and bedrooms and bring together commerce and education. He believed that with access to the full educational and research resources of Cambridge University the Centre would be able to offer the highest standard of continuing education to international businesses wishing to develop their managerial, executive, and research and development staff.
The Møller Centre was formally opened by Her Majesty Queen Ingrid of Denmark on Friday, 2nd October, 1992.