Study with us
“You hold the key to a promising tomorrow, a life changed, a world improved.”
Without alumni support, some of these doors will be closed – talented students from disadvantaged backgrounds will struggle to access a Churchill education and the life-enhancing opportunities it provides, and facilities and equipment will become out of date.
The Annual Fund Campaign seeks to raise funds that directly address these key challenges. The most important source of income for the fund is the College's Telephone Campaign, which also links present-day students with alumni.
This year’s priorities remain firmly centred on supporting our students, including widening access to Graduate Studentships. We also remain committed to building our endowment for a sustainable future.
With more pressure on College finances we are turning to our alumni community.
Given the wide range of projects the Annual Fund Campaign covers, we hope that there is something to inspire everyone. Contributions to the Annual Fund Campaign can be made either towards a specific project or towards unrestricted annual funds.
With your help we can continue to keep Churchill's doors open to those with the brightest minds – regardless of their background. You hold the key to a promising tomorrow, a life changed, a world improved.
The Wolfson Hall lecture Theatre seats 300. Named after the philanthropist and Honorary Fellow Sir Isaac Wolfson (who also gives his name to Wolfson College, Churchill’s Wolfson Flats, and much else). Wolfson (1897-1991), son of a Jewish cabinet maker, was chairman of Great Universal Stores, 1947-87, and creator of the Wolfson Foundation. The Hall was state-of-the-art for its time, including a simultaneous translation booth which Sir John Cockcroft was anxious to include, to stage the international ‘Pugwash’ (Atoms for Peace) conferences.
Situated on Storey’s Way – a designated Conservation Area – Number 72 is one of five College owned houses on the street used for student and Fellows’ accommodation and provides housing for 14 postgraduate students. In 1979, Cambridge University Broadcasting Society members Simon Cooper and Ellie Buchanan founded CUR (Cambridge University Radio) at Churchill College and established the studios in the basement of No. 72. Programmes were presented using tape decks and record players. The station initially existed mostly for members to develop their presenting skills, with occasional short-duration broadcasts on restricted service licences.
Situated on the north side of Churchill Road, the Woflson Flats (1967) are the only early part of the College not designed by Sheppard; instead by local architect David Roberts (1911-82). Comprising 40 flats for postgraduate students with partners or families, they were refurbished in 2009-1.
Opened in 1973 by US ambassador Walter Annenberg in the presence of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh and Lady Spencer-Churchill, the final part of the original College buildings. The main doors in bronze were designed by Geoffrey Clarke and you can see the following inscription on the threshold: These bronze doors are a gift of a few of the North American Producers of Non-Ferrous Metals as symbols of their enduring admiration for Sir Winston Churchill.
The Sheppard Flats, named after the architect Sir Richard Sheppard, provide 20 flats for visiting scholars. The first part of the College built (1960-1). The structure is an intriguing labyrinth of courtyards and alleyways built over two storeys, almost in the style of a Mediterranean hill village, much admired by architects for its intricate planning and intimate spaces. Each flat has a secluded walled patio and large sliding windows. The College began here, flats serving as offices, teaching rooms, and library, until 1964.. Refurbished 2002-6.
Churchill is one of the few colleges to have squash courts on its main site. Located on the north side of the main entrance, the courts are open to all resident members of the college and their families, and are the home of the college's active ladder and occasional competitions. Top players can go on to inter-college competitions, but those who just want to play for fun and fitness are equally welcome to get involved.
Designed (1913) by A. H. Moberly, for the University’s first Professor of Economic History, Sir John Clapham. At his retirement in 1938 it was bought by Dr Edward Bevan, a GP, who with his wife Joan, took paying guests including; Ludwig Wittgenstein one of the 20th century’s most important philosophers, who died here; and Princess Margrethe of Denmark (now queen), while she was an UG reading Archaelogy & Anthropology at Girton College. Purchased by the College in 1991, the garden surgery and waiting room were converted for use as a drama and creative arts studio. The house now provides housing for 11 postgraduate students.
The College is entered by a concrete-balustraded bridge over a pond, gesturing toward a moat and drawbridge, symbols enforced by the shocking fact, for 1960, that this College had no enclosing walls. In those days, colleges were in loco parentis and students subject to strict ‘gate hours’ confining them at night. The architect originally planned a near-encircling moat.
Cowan Court, named after its principle donor, Michael Cowan (U68) was the first new UG accommodation to be built in Churchill College since 1965. The extension of many NatSci and engineering UG degrees to four years meant that fourth year UGs could not be housed in College and this was recognised as a development priority. The competition to select the design was won by 6A architects. The building has a similar footprint to the existing courts, but a very different character. The 68 rooms, 10 kitchens and Sixties meeting room all face out from the tree-filled court. The external cladding is of reclaimed oak boards from French railway carriages and the walls curve gently inwards. A number of rooms have been named in honour of the donors. The meeting room has been named by a group of early students – The Sixties Room. The building was opened by HRH The Duke of Gloucester on Friday 23 September 2016.
West Court (court 10, Staircases 53-58) was completed in 1968 and forms part of a network of residential courts with South, North and East Court. In most colleges staircases are lettered; here they are numbered; mysteriously, staircases 13-30 are forever non-existent. The 40 staircases each have on average 12 rooms or flats, making a total of 485, 60 of which are occupied by Fellows (as teaching rooms or residential ‘sets’). Originally, around 100 rooms were two-room student sets, in traditional Oxbridge manner, and the bedrooms were converted to provide ensuites in the 1990s. Rooms are generally 50% larger than the national university norm for 1960 and each room was centrally heated from the outset.
Also known as the ‘pepperpots’ the three houses are named after the second, third and fourth Masters and provide 30 rooms for postgraduate students, 10 in each. The architecture firm Cottrell and Vermeulen, which included then practice associate and Churchill alumnus Simon Tucker, won the competition to design the buildings which were opened in 2003. The design aims to be domestic and non-institutional, the houses emphasising community, each having a large common room, large kitchen, and generous circulation space. Costing £2 million it was the first College building to benefit significantly from alumni donations. Winner of the David Urwin award for the best new building in Cambridgeshire, 1998-2002.