Win £3000* for your business idea, and contribute to sustainable development!
The Churchill College Enterprise Competition aims to identify, develop and support the entrepreneurial skills of current students and alumni. The programme of events includes training, networking and a pitching competition.
In 2023 we want to find the best business ideas or innovations linked to in any area of the UN-SDGs, Sustainable Development Goals.
The 2023 competition is supported by Malcolm Brinded, a Churchill engineering alumnus. He has long been involved supporting innovative early-stage start-ups focused on lower income countries
*Winning team prize £2000 cash + £1000 value accounting support, plus £1000 other prizes to be announced at the launch!
Welland Orwell, a growing firm of Chartered Accountants, is offering its services free for a year to the business that will be set up to run the venture of the winner at the Enterprise competition. Conditions apply.
“The Churchill Enterprise Competition was a wonderful opportunity to develop our business pitching skills. Typically, early stage business ideas are always rough around the edges and require refining – to sharpen the idea, you need to pitch it to someone experienced to give you feedback.”
Bang Ming Yong (G15) – Enterprise Competition winner 2019
Sign up for updates about enterprise training and events
Resources from workshops – google folder
Youtube recording of John Liechty’s session – how to write a value proposition
Training and events are open to all, regardless of whether you want to enter this years’ competition!
- 19th Jan 6-7pm: Competition launch, ideation and team formation (1 hour launch event and networking. Jock Colville Hall – No sign-up required, come along to find out more!
- 24 Jan 4-6pm: Enterprise training, run with Cambridge Enterprise (2 hour workshop. Jock Colville Hall.
- 3 Feb 6-7pm: The basics of starting a business, Prof John Leichty, Judge Business School. Jock Colville Hall
- 9/2/23 6-7pm: Startup/enterprise networking event
- 26/2/23, midnight: Submission deadline
- 6/3/23: Shortlisting and mentor allocation
- 23/3/23 5-7pm: Grand final – pitching competition. Jock Colville Hall
- Join for formal dinner after the pitching competition – sign up via the College website as usual, and select the ‘enterprise’ group
Get in touch with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Other Enterprise opportunities
Team Building event for Social Innovators from 5pm on Thursday March 9th
Run by CGE (Centre for Global Equality) and Cambridge Enterprise – FREE!
2023 Grand Finals - Meet the Judging Panel
All welcome to attend this years’ Grand Final
23/3/2023, 5-7pm: Jock Colville Hall
5-6:15 Team pitches and Q&A
6:15-6:30 Sponsor presentation while Judges make their final decision
6:30 Winners announced, followed by Networking drinks reception
Competition launch and Team formation
Come along to the launch event to find out about this year’s competition, meet like-minded people and get creating ideas. No need to come with an idea or a team, as this event is an opportunity to form teams and decide which of the UN-SDGs you are excited about tackling.
People eligible for entry are: Undergraduates, postgraduates or a mixture. Teams may also include recent Churchill alumni (within 5 years of graduation), postdoctoral by-fellows or JRFs. Teams can include members from outside College. Teams contain at least 1 current Churchill student and a Churchill student must be the team lead.
Sign up for enterprise training and events
Enter now – google forms – Deadline 26/2/23