Our Coronavirus Guidance

So that we can ensure that all Members of the Churchill College community stay healthy and safe, things will look a little different when you next come to College. But you can find everything you need to know on our new Coronavirus Guidance page  From the latest research from the University to what you should do if you have symptoms, and from the provision of College services to minimising the risk of transmission, you'll find all the answers to your questions here.

Finance information for undergraduates

The Student Finance Office is above Housekeeping, near the Club Room.

It is essential to have a UK bank account set up, ideally in advance of your arrival in Cambridge or as soon as possible after you arrive. The College’s preferred method of payment for termly College bills is payment by direct debit from a UK bank account. Direct debit forms can be obtained from the Student Accounts Office. Tuition Fees and College bills can be paid by cheque from a sterling bank account, UK debit card or bank transfer. If your payment is made using a credit card or non-EU debit card the additional charge will be passed on to you — typically 2.3%.

The College bank account details for electronic transfer can be obtained from the Finance Department. Please email:


On request, the Tutorial Assistant, Gemma Turner, will provide a letter confirming your student status for a bank.

University Card

You will be provided with a University/College Card which will be given to you, if available, at the registration day. Otherwise it must be collected from the Student Accounts Office or in a few cases, from your department. This card must be returned when you have completed your studies and leave College.

Lost cards must be reported to Student Accounts within 5 days. The card gives you access to various areas of the College and University, and can be used in the Dining Hall and Buttery to charge meals and food purchases to your account. It also gives you a flat fare on the U buses into town, train station and onto Addenbrooke’s Hospital. There is a charge for replacing the card, if lost, is £15.

Finance information for Freshers

All students arriving in College at the start of term must sign the Redit book in the Porters’ Lodge to confirm that they are in residence in the University and the Exeat form when they leave at the end of term. Otherwise you may be charged extra rent.

All UK students seeking a maintenance loan or assistance with fees, must apply to the Student Loans Company (SLC) for each year of their course. There is detailed information on how to apply including the deadline for new and ongoing students online:

Applying for an SLC

Students must give the Tutorial Office or Student Accounts Officer a copy of their Financial Notification Form or EU assessment letter as soon as possible on arrival in the College for each year of their course. UK students eligible for loans for maintenance (for living expenses) from the Student Loans Company will receive these directly into their bank accounts each term, once the SLC has received bank account details from the students, and confirmation of attendance from the College.

All EU students should apply to for confirmation of their EU status and assistance with tuition fees. A copy of their assessment letter must be given to the Tutorial Office or Student Accounts Office for each year of their course. Further information can be found on the GOV.UK website:

GOV.UK website

All UK and EU students who apply fo an SLC loan will automatically be considered for a Cambridge Bursary of up to £3500.

All new undergraduates should have completed a College Fee Status form and return this to the Tutorial Officer, with a copy of their passport or birth certificate.

If you are a UK student, starting your course in 2016, and will be receiving a loan for fees or maintenance, you will be sent a Financial Notification Form which advises you of the loan you will receive, and the amount you need to pay to the College for fees (if fees are not covered by a loan). New undergraduates should send one copy to the Tutorial Officer, Louise Ranger, preferably prior to arrival in College or as soon as possible after arrival. In subsequent years, the form should be given to Mrs Linda Hoayun, the Student Finance Officer or Mrs Theresa Brooks, Deputy Finance Manager.

Useful links

Finance information for returning students

If you are a UK student and returning to College for your 2nd, 3rd or 4th year in 2016 you should consult the GOV.UK website for details of how to apply for this year’s financial assessment. This must be done every year of your course and as early as possible in the summer.

Additional funding

If you wish to apply for a loan and/or grant payments of grants for living expenses from any other public bodies for UK, EU and Overseas students, where these are sent to the College, will be made to students when the cheques are received: please attend the Student Finance Office during normal working hours to collect these.

Tuition Fees

All tuition fees are collected through the College. Approved fees for UK and EU students are charged termly in advance and those not paid directly by the SLC/SAAS loans should be paid to the College at the start of term. If the payment of fees in advance causes you hardship, you should call on your Tutor immediately.

Overseas (other than EU) Undergraduate students are required to pay two separate University and College fees annually in advance to the College and will have been notified about this when they were offered a place.

Students eligible for public support (this will apply to the great majority of UK and European Union students) have their College Fees and any means-tested contribution due for their University Fees paid directly from public funds. Students starting in October 2016 not eligible or failing to provide the necessary information to confirm eligibility will be liable for the full College Fee of £7,300 in addition to the University Fee.

UK Students awarded maintenance loans must have or have applied for a National Insurance number before their first loan instalment will be paid. If you do not already have a N.I. number the SLC will advise you how to apply for one. Students aged under 20 years should contact HMRC on Tel: 08459157006 for information on how to apply for an N.I. number.

College Advance Deposit

New students (freshers) will also be required to make an advance payment, to cover estimated College charges for one term. Freshers should either pay at the accounts desk in the main foyer on Saturday 4 October or agree payment collection by direct debit. If you have a problem with the timing of this payment, you should contact the Student Finance Office as soon as possible after arrival.

The rates of this Advance Deposit for 2014/15 are £1500 for students living in College rooms and £250 for students living out

The amount paid will be credited in the Easter term's account in the final year at the College. In the meantime, your bill for College charges, rents and meals will be presented termly in arrears. Therefore,the first term's billis paid from your second term's money; in due course the bill for your last but one term of residence will be paid from your final term's money and your final term's bill will be (approximately) paid by the refund of the Advance Deposit.

Your College bill must be paid by the division (middle) of the following term (see key dates). A late payment penalty charge is levied on all overdue accounts at 0.5% per week unless the student is excused by the Bursar after consultation with the Tutor when appropriate. If the account is still overdue at the end of a vacation, a student is not allowed to return into residence unless given permission by the Bursar, or by the College Council on appeal.

Catering Charges

The cost of meals taken in the Dining Hall and of food items available for sale in the Dining Hall and Buttery is subsidised relative to the cost of similar meals and food outside of College. You are encouraged, but not required, to make use of these dining facilities and the College's student kitchens are designed as snack kitchens only.

Your termly College bill includes; rent, electricity (not heating), fines, printing and all charges for meals taken and food items bought using your College account during the quarter. Every two weeks during term time you will also be sent an email with your breakdown of actual meal charges to date, for information.

Southern African Bursary

Churchill College and Sidney Sussex College jointly fund a Southern African Bursary, which provides the cost of a Cambridge University education for a student (undergraduate or graduate) from Southern Africa. The Bursary holder is selected on academic merit and on social and financial need. Administration of the Bursary is in the hands of a committee of staff and students of both colleges although control of admission standards is held by the colleges. An annual contribution of £11 is levied on all students, payable in two termly instalments of £5.50 (Lent and Easter terms). You will be given the opportunity to opt out of the scheme during the Michaelmas Term.