Our Coronavirus Guidance

So that we can ensure that all Members of the Churchill College community stay healthy and safe, things will look a little different when you next come to College. But you can find everything you need to know on our new Coronavirus Guidance page  From the latest research from the University to what you should do if you have symptoms, and from the provision of College services to minimising the risk of transmission, you'll find all the answers to your questions here.

Health advice

The Cambridge General Practitioners have put together a useful website about student health matters.

Cam Student Health

111 is the NHS non-emergency number. It’s fast, easy and free. Call 111 and speak to a highly trained adviser, supported by healthcare professionals. 

NHS 111

Registration with a local General Medical Practitioner (GP)

You are required to register with a doctor and to inform your Tutor, and if you are in lodgings your landlady or landlord, of the doctor's name, address and telephone number. You will be provided with a College form to give details of your registration and this should be completed and returned to the Senior Tutor's office as soon as you have registered with a doctor. We must have this information! It could be life-saving in an emergency.

What to do if you become ill

An undergraduate who falls ill should ensure that his or her Tutor is informed as soon as possible; if you are in lodgings you should ask your landlady or landlord to ring the Porter's Lodge and leave a message for your Tutor. Also try to get a message to your Supervisors and Director of Studies explaining any necessary absences from supervisions. Anyone with any kind of illness, disability or other difficulty likely to affect his or her performance in examinations should consult the College Nurse during the Lent term so that all possible help can be organised before the start of the exams. It is also essential to inform your Tutor so that steps can be taken to alert the University Board of examinations to your problem. It also makes sense to visit your Cambridge GP so that he/she is aware of your problem, and is in a position if need be, to provide evidence of the severity and duration of your illness. If you are likely to be affected, e.g. in practicals, by colour perception deficiency, make sure that your Tutor is aware.

Dental Health

There is no longer a Dental Practice affiliated with the University but all students should be able to access good-quality NHS dental services in the local area. Treatment is free to students under the age of 19. 

Dental Health in Cambridge

The College Nurse

There is a surgery in the College in Room 31C for the treatment of minor ailments and injuries. The College Nurse is on extension 36133, (nurse@chu.cam.ac.uk) and she is available in the College Surgery at the times posted on the noticeboard.

More information

Chronic illness

Any member of College suffering from a chronic medical condition or disability, or who is undergoing long-term treatment for any reason, should inform the College Nurse. This could be of great assistance in the event of illness or accident. The Nurse and Catering Manager should be informed of any food allergies. It is also helpful if students are willing to inform their Tutors of such conditions.

Food allergies; anaphylaxis

The University has produced a set of guidelines for dealing with the fact that an increasing number of people are vulnerable to severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) which can affect the entire body within a few minutes of exposure to the allergen and lead to death if not treated promptly. There are several causes of which certain components of food (especially nuts) are the most common (others include insect bites).

University guidelines