Information on the College Library’s general rules, as well as safety information and procedures that library users will need to observe during the COVID-19 pandemic.
We thank you for following these rules, as they help us to keep the library a pleasant, comfortable and safe space for all College members.
COVID-19 safety procedures
Please observe the following safety procedures when using the Library during the Covid-19 pandemic:
- A face covering must be worn at all times while seated and while walking around.
- Maintain social distancing in line with current government guidelines. Take extra care in tight spaces such as book stacks, foyers and staircases.
- Hand sanitiser is available at all entrances to the library and on all desks. Please sanitise hands before beginning study and at frequent intervals thereafter, particularly before touching shared surfaces such as library books, self-issue machines, computers and door handles.
- If you are leaving your study space for more than one hour take all your belongings with you. Library books may be left in a neat pile at the side of the desk with a signed and dated ‘please leave’ slip tucked inside.
- Disinfectant spray and paper towels are provided on all desks, please clean your desk after use.
- Do not leave belongings (clothes, books, papers, files etc.) on, under or around the desk or on the floor, as this hinders our Housekeeping team.
- Please speak to or email the Librarian if you are concerned about any issues arising from your use of the College Library.
Food and drink
Food may not be taken into the reading rooms.
Drinks are welcome in the library so long as they are in sealable containers, which must be kept sealed when not in use and taken away with you when you leave the Library.
Please be considerate to Housekeeping staff and to other library users and do not leave rubbish behind.
Smoking and vaping
Neither smoking nor the use of electronic cigarettes or vapour devices is permitted anywhere in the Library building.
Mobile phones should be turned off or switched to silent before being taken into either of the Reading Rooms.
Laptops may be used in the Reading Rooms.
Those wishing to use a laptop must comply with the following conditions:
- If you intend to connect your laptop to the mains supply a valid safety test sticker must be clearly visible on your computer.
- Please contact the College Maintenance Department to have your computer tested if this has not already been done.
- Once tested, your laptop will be deemed safe to use for one year, after which time it must be tested again.
- If your laptop is connected to the mains supply you must make sure that the cable is adequately protected to prevent other readers from tripping over it.
You can send print jobs from your laptop to any of the College printers.