Fees and costs

UK bank accounts

It is essential to have a UK bank account set up, ideally in advance of your arrival in Cambridge or as soon as possible after you arrive.

On request, the Graduate Student Administrator, Rebecca Sawalmeh, will provide a letter confirming your student status for a bank.

Rebecca Sawalmeh

University & College fees

The College runs two accounts for you:

All academic fees are collected through the College. Self-funded students are required to pay their academic fees for the year before arriving in College. If you are funded by a public body, or other organisation and wish to vary these arrangements please see Theresa Brooks, based in the Finance Department.

Teresa Brooks

Approved fees for all other students are charged termly in advance and should be paid to the College at the start of the term or at the latest within 14 days of the first day of Full Term.

If the payment of fees in advance causes you hardship, you should talk to your Tutor immediately. You can check the fees you should be paying on the University website.

The total fee you pay depends on your course.

UK and EU students following certain courses (see Note 1 under Incoming Funds above) continue to be eligible for the public support they received in their undergraduate study years and can apply to have the College element of their fees and in some cases, a means-tested contribution to the university element, or a fee loan, paid directly from public funds. Please note that even if your parental income is such that you do not qualify for the means-tested elements of public funding, it may still be necessary for you to provide proof of residence for Home Fees status, otherwise you will be personally liable for a College Fee of £5380 in addition to the University Fee.

Details of graduate course costs and fee status can be found on the University website.

Graduate course costs

General information on public financial support for UK students can be found on the gov.uk website.

Payments to College

The College’s preferred method of payment for fee and College Account bills is by direct debit from a UK bank account. Direct Debit forms can be obtained from the Student Accounts Office. Tuition Fees and College bills can be paid by cheque from a sterling bank account, debit card, bank transfer, or cash. If payment is made by credit card, an additional charge of 1% will be added.

The College bank account details for electronic transfer can be obtained by contacting:


A strictly enforced regulation is that students may not collect their degrees or certificates if they have any outstanding debts in Cambridge.

College account

Unless you live in the Wolfson flats and maisonettes, you will receive a quarterly bill from the College covering rent, electricity (but not heating), any meal or food purchased in the College on your university/college card, printing and any College fines.  

The rent for College rooms includes reasonable heating from about 7am–11 pm from October to April depending on the temperature outside. Rents for individual rooms range from about £70–£153, depending on size and facilities. The rents are set by the MCR with the Bursar.

Meals in the dining hall, which is open every day of the week, cost approximately £6 for two courses. 

College Advance Deposit

New students are required to make an advance payment, to cover estimated College charges for one term.

A separate bill will not be issued and students should visit the Student Accounts Office as soon as possible after arriving in College to make payment or at the latest within
10 days of the start of Full Term.

2014/15 Advance Deposit rates

Students living in College rooms and Hostels


Students living in Wolfson Flats

£843 (one month's rent)

Students living in Wolfson Maisonettes

£1004 (one month's rent)

Students living out


Part-time or MEd students


Please note: College Account bills for rent, ancillary charges and meals will be presented termly in arrears and are due by the division of term (see Key Dates). Therefore, the first term's bill is paid from the second term's money; in due course, the bill for the last but one term of residence will be paid from the final term's money and the final term's bill will be (approximately) paid by the refund of the Advance Deposit. If you move out of College during your second or third year, you can get a partial refund to the living out rate.

Grants & funding payments received by College

Where grants for living expenses from any other public bodies for UK, EU and Overseas students are made directly to the College rather than to the student, you should go to the Student Finance Office during normal working hours to collect your cheque.

Please complete the funding information form given to you by the Advanced Students Office promptly.

Student Loans Company

If you are a UK student on certain specified postgraduate courses (*MASt., clinical veterinary and clinical medical sciences) and will be receiving a loan from the Student Loans Company, this will be paid directly into your bank account. You will be sent a Financial Notification Form. This must be taken to the Student Accounts Office as soon as possible after you arrive in Cambridge.

Overdue accounts

A late payment penalty charge is levied on all overdue accounts at 0.5% per week, unless the Bursar excuses the student after consultation with their Tutor.

If the account is still overdue at the end of a vacation, a student may be asked to leave accommodation, unless agreed on an exceptional basis by the Bursar or by the College Council on appeal.

Bringing dependants

No dependents or additional dependants may be brought to Cambridge before evidence of the extra financial support needed has been supplied to the Board of Graduate Students/JBS and the College, and the consent of the College obtained. Students supported by bodies such as the Cambridge Commonwealth Trust and the Cambridge Overseas Trust must have their permission to bring a dependant into residence in Cambridge.

‘Over-running’ PhD students

Some PhD students are now funded for 12 terms, but many for just 9 terms. For those who fail to submit in time, there are a number of sources of help. You should plan your finances to allow for some extension. Talk to your research supervisor as well as your College Tutor, particularly if the delay is no fault of your own. Many departments also have funds available to assist.

A Graduate Student is liable to pay full University and College fees for the minimum required number of terms of research required for their degree, even if they receive leave to work away from Cambridge. Students wishing to continue to make use of College facilities while completing their PhD may do so, on condition that they maintain an Advance Deposit of £250 with the College. In exchange for the maintenance of this deposit the following facilities will be granted:

The following obligations shall also be incurred:

Failure to comply with these obligations may mean that the facilities are withdrawn.

Students who choose not to maintain their Deposit would have the rights of a former member of the College. Any person removing their Deposit who then wishes to regain the facilities of a Deposit-holder will be charged a non-returnable administration fee of £40, as well as the Advance Deposit.

If you think you may over-run your PhD time allocation, you should talk to your research supervisor as well as your College Tutor, particularly if the delay is no fault of your own. Many departments also have funds available to assist.

Southern African Bursary

Churchill College and Sidney Sussex College jointly fund a Southern African Bursary, which provides the cost of a Cambridge University education for a student from Southern Africa. The Bursary holder is selected on academic merit and on social and financial need. Administration of the Bursary is in the hands of a committee of staff and students of both colleges although the colleges hold control of admission standards. The Bursary holder alternates between the two colleges and is usually a graduate student. The bursary is funded by a voluntary subscription from members of the College; more than 70% of students contributed last year.

Council Tax (local property tax)

Full-time students have no liability for Council Tax provided that they are only living with other students. All students are expected to apply themselves to their studies for an average of 21 hours a week while in residence. Students living outside College accommodation may be asked to provide proof of student status for Council Tax purposes. A certificate for this purpose is available, on request, from Rebecca Sawalmeh in the TAS Office.

Do not ignore letters from the City Council about Council Tax

Council Tax liability for dependents

Dependents of students living in the Wolfson Flats or in external properties are liable for Council Tax unless they themselves are students or have a visa stamped ‘no recourse to public funds’. Dependents may be eligible for a reduction on the grounds of low, or no, income in the household if they complete a form for Housing and Council Tax Benefit. Legal liability for payment of the Tax lies with the tenant and not with the dependent concerned or with the College. All Wolfson flat residents will need to complete a form showing the dependant’s status and provide evidence in the form of a copy of the visa in their dependent’s passport.

For more information contact: Rebecca Sawalmeh in the TAS Office.

Details of Council Tax discounts and exemptions can be found on the Cambridge City Council website.

Cambridge City Council

University cards

Most students will be provided with a University/College Card, which you should collect from the Student Accounts Office. If your department gives you one, you will need to get it programmed by the Student Accounts Office for College use. The card gives you access to various areas and facilities in College and University, it can be used in the Dining Hall and Buttery to charge meals and food purchases to your account, and to borrow library books from the College library. It will also give you a discount in the Cambridge University Press bookshop and various other shops as well as on Uni4 buses into the town centre and Addenbrookes Hospital.


The Student Finance Officers are Annette Tattersall (part-time, working in the TAS Office) and the Deputy Finance Manager, Theresa Brooks.

The main Accounts offices are situated above Housekeeping, near the Club Room.

TAS Office

Accounts Office