Financial support

Cambridge Bursary Scheme for UK and EU students

At least a third of Churchill UK and EU Undergraduates were eligible for a Cambridge Bursary last year of up to £3,500. The scheme is based on assessment of household income by the Student Loans Company (SLC) so you must apply for a student loan for maintenance (UK students) or tuition fees (EU students) in order to be automatically assessed for a bursary under this scheme and you have to reapply to the SLC each year of your course. If your household income is less than £42,620 p.a. you should be eligible for a Bursary.

In order to be assessed for a Cambridge Bursary, you must not tick the box opting out of sharing financial information with the University in your SLC application.

Cambridge Bursary: More Information

The scheme is centrally administered and the Bursary is paid directly to you by the SLC but the College contributes almost half the cost. Some Cambridge Bursaries for Churchill College students are named after supporters who have donated the money to enable those from less privileged backgrounds to come to the College. There is a requirement to demonstrate continuing academic endeavour throughout the course as well as continuing financial need as assessed by the SLC.

These include:


For new and current students

The College also offers a range of smaller grants to assist students with the cost of music lessons, playing sport at University level or above (College sport is already funded), vacation travel, vacation courses and music tours.

Further Finiancial Support

The University of Cambridge also has funds in the Bell Abbott and Barnes Fund put aside for additional support for students in case of unexpected hardship. The College also has a fund to help in such cases. Applications are made through tutors in both cases.

Bell Abbot and Barnes Fund

For international students

There is a centralised source of funding for international undergraduate students,  the Cambridge Overseas Trust, which offers a number of awards each year on its own behalf and on behalf of some other international organisations.

Financial Support for International Students