A Statement from the College

Churchill College endorses the Vice Chancellor's statement regarding the events surrounding George Floyd's death in the USA. Racism has no place in our community. Please read our statement here

Covid-19 Update

Due to the latest government update the College is now closed to all but essential staff. If you are a staff member and you need help with logging into the Staff Area with your Raven ID, please click here.

Financial information for UK/EU students

The following financial information is for UK/EU students only.

If you are expecting to pay fees as a UK or EU student you MUST apply as soon as possible to Student Finance if you wish to apply for fee loan.

Apply via Gov.UK

What to do when you receive the information from Student Finance

On receipt of your ‘Financial Notification’ please send a copy to:

Tutorial Officer
Churchill College
Storey’s Way

Alternatively you can hand it to the Student Finance Officer when you arrive.

Financial support

The University website provides information on financial support for UK and EU students.

Student Loans for UK Students

Links to the different government websites with information on Student Loans for UK and EU students can be found on the University website.

New undergraduates (Freshers) who are resident in the UK and hope to receive a tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and/or grant should have already applied to the appropriate Student Finance organisation (SFE, SAAS, Student Finance Wales, Student Finance NI).

UK students must also have, or have applied for, a National Insurance (NI) number before the first loan instalment will be paid. If this is not the case please contact HMRC on 0845 915 7006. 

Information about special grants for UK and EU students with particular needs can be found on the Gov.uk website.

If you have allowed the Student Loans Company (SLC) sufficient time to process it, the first payment of your maintenance loan should be made directly into your bank account shortly after your arrival in College, provided that you have supplied your NI number, bank account details and Payment Advice from your student finance organisation to:

Tutorial Officer
Churchill College
Storey’s Way
CB3 0DS .

Subsequent termly payments will then be made directly into your bank account.

Student Loans for EU Students

Useful information on EU Student Loans is available on the government website www.gov.uk

EU students can apply for a loan for tuition fees. Applications should be made to the Student Finance Services European Team on an application form (EU20N) which can be downloaded from the Gov.uk website

Student finance forms

Students are assessed by the College and University to establish their fee status. An assessment by the EU team is very helpful in confirming the validity of EU status. It is therefore a good idea to apply for assessment (by completing form EU20N to establish residency and asking for a zero loan), even if you do not wish to take advantage of the student loan scheme for fees. Without firm evidence to support Home or EU status students are likely to be liable to pay College Fees (£9500 for those starting in 2020) in addition to the £9250 Tuition Fee.

For all students

Please note that if you are eligible for a fee loan you should consider taking out the full amount offered to you — you do not have to spend it but if you do not take out the maximum amount and then run out of money, we are unlikely to be able to respond positively to any subsequent request for hardship support. You can always put any excess loan in a savings account and repay it on graduation.

Other bursaries

For UK students the main Cambridge Bursary Scheme for UK and EU students is made online and administered by the Student Loan Company (SLC). Provided that you have applied for assessment for a student loan from the SLC you will automatically be considered for a Cambridge Bursary.

The College has a number of funds provided by donors which helps support the Cambridge Bursary Scheme.

Arrival in College

If you arrive in College on Saturday 3 October 2020, you will be asked to register in the main concourse. The College Student Finance Officers will be there to answer any questions you may have about financial arrangements and to take your forms (see below) and payments. You will also receive a College account card.

If you are coming to College before 3 October, please visit the Student Finance Office during normal working hours, as soon as possible after your arrival. 

Payments due when you arrive:

If you are being funded by an external organisation, you should give the details to the Student Finance Office ideally in advance, or on arrival.

Advance Deposit

On coming into residence, all undergraduates are required to pay the College a sum of money, called the Advance Deposit. This is an amount estimated to cover a typical termly bill for accommodation, catering and other college expenses. In the final term of your course it is refunded as a credit on your final bill. The Advance Deposit you are required to pay is £1500.

You will then receive a College Bill at the end of each term for that term’s accommodation, catering, printing and miscellaneous costs. There is a one-off charge on your first bill of approximately £ for the year for insurance (details will follow in the Accommodation Handbook). Each Accommodation account is due for payment by the middle of the following term so you get up to a term and a half’s credit. You will receive email reminders but there is a charge of 0.5% per week for late payment.

Tuition Fees

The University tuition fees for undergraduates from the EU and UK undertaking their first degree are £9250 this year. The fees may be higher for affiliated students and those from the Islands (from 2013 students from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are classified as overseas students and are charged tuition fees at the overseas rate). Please refer to the Financial Information for International students on the University website. 

UK and EU students who have applied for, and been granted, a fee loan by the appropriate Student Finance organisation for England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland should note that this will be paid directly to the College. If you are paying your fees yourself you will need to pay in full at the start of each year or at the start each term, with a termly split of 25% for Michaelmas, 25% for Lent and 50% for Easter. If you have not applied for a full loan for tuition fees the amount you will need to pay will be the personal contribution stated in your Payment Advice, either in full at the start of each year or termly as above.

College Fee

If you have received notification that you are eligible to receive a tuition fee loan and have not previously completed a first degree course you will not be liable to pay a College Fee. However those students starting in 2020 who are not eligible for Home student status and who are therefore ineligible for a government fee loan, may also be liable for a College Fee of £9500 p.a. for the duration of their course. 

If you have not applied for a loan you will have to provide adequate proof of your eligible UK/EU status to demonstrate that if you had applied you would have been granted a loan. If this is not provided the College will assess you as a privately-funded student and you will have to pay the College Fee and, as with the Tuition Fee, you will need to pay this before the start of term.

How to Pay Fees and Charges

We strongly advise you to set up a bank account with a UK bank, and colleagues in the Tutorial Office can provide information on this and proof of status for the bank. If you are an EU student, a deposit may be required to maintain an account.

All payments to the College, including those for the Advance Deposit and for fee contributions, should be by bank debit card or by cheque made payable to Churchill College This should be handed to the Student Finance Officer in the main concourse at registration on 5 October or to staff in the Student Finance Office, above the Housekeeping Department. The Student Finance Officers will advise you if you have any doubts as to how much you need to pay.

Cheques from UK/EU students given to the Student Finance Officers, on Saturday 3 October, will not be banked until 17 October, after Student Loan Company payments have been made.

Students may also transfer payments directly into the College’s Bank Account.

The bank account details are:
Lloyds TSB Bank plc 
Sidney Street 
CB2 3HQ 

Account: Churchill College Bursar’s Account
Account number: 03114294
Sort code: 30 91 56
Swift code: LOYD GB2L
BIC Number: LOYDGB21018
IBAN Number: GB72LOYD30915603114294

If you are making a payment by bank transfer always use your full name and college account number (if issued already) as a reference and email the Student Finance Office on students.accounts@chu.cam.ac.uk to advise them of the payment.

You may also pay your Advance Deposit and your future Accommodation Account  (not fees), after the first term, by direct debit and we will send you a form for this in due course, once your college account has been set up. If you opt for this method of payment you will still receive an actual account each term, for information, before the money is taken from your bank account.

Please pay your accommodation account and fees promptly to avoid creating extra work for staff and costs for the college. If you are having any difficulty please tell the Student Finance Officers or seek advice from your Tutor.


Should you have any other financial enquiries or require any further details please either see our undergraduate finance pages or contact:

The Student Finance Office
Accounts Department
Churchill College
Storey's Way
CB3 0DS 

E: students.accounts@chu.cam.ac.uk
T: 01223 336185

Other useful contacts:

Tutorial Office
Churchill College
Storey's Way
CB3 0DS 

E: senior.tutor@chu.cam.ac.uk
T: 01223 336208