Due to the Archives Centre's continuing cataloguing programme, we are making more material available to researchers all the time. Additions continue to be made to our miscellaneous papers (MISC) and to the Additional Churchill Papers (WCHL). Papers which have been closed are also opened regularly, mainly in January each year.
In 2003 the Archives Centre began a programme to provide online information on all our collections. By May 2004 we had information available for 50 per cent of these. By February 2005 this number was up to 70 per cent and we finally achieved our goal of 100 per cent by February 2006. These online finding aids are available on the Janus webserver which provides access to catalogues of archives and manuscripts held in Cambridge.
The following list of newly-available papers, which will continue to be updated as more papers are opened up, only includes openings or new cataloguing of significant amounts of material: for the full list of our collections, see our Full Guide.
Guide to holdings
- BARA: Series of scrapbooks recording the work on human embryology carried out by Professor Robert Edwards and his colleagues, 1955-2009, opened in 2017 (11 volumes).
- HPSN: The papers of the soldier and diplomat Sir Donald Hopson, catalogued in 2017 (7 boxes).
- POLL AS 3: Recordings of interviews made and used by Simon Heffer for his biography of Enoch Powell, "Like the Roman", catalogued in 2017 (44 recordings).
- SEAG: Papers relating to Anne Seagrim's relationship with C P Snow, opened in 2017 (27 files).
- THOM: Photographs from Ronald Thompson's service on HMS Victorious during the Second World War, catalogued in 2016 (2 boxes).
- KLUG: Papers of the biophysicist Sir Aaron Klug, catalogued in 2016 (348 boxes).
- DNMN: Papers of the civil servant and diplomat Sir Roy Denman, including a diary of the negotiation of the UK’s entry to the European Economic Community, 1970-2, catalogued in 2016 (6 boxes).
- WLMT: Papers of the sociologists Peter and Phyllis Willmott, catalogued in 2016 (45 boxes).
- ALIU: Memoirs and correspondence of Svetlana Alliluyeva, daughter of Joseph Stalin, catalogued in 2016 (2 boxes).
- NRBK: Papers of Lord Normanbrook, catalogued in 2016 (8 boxes).
- SCHL: Papers of Sarah Churchill, catalogued in 2015-16 (44 boxes and 17 reels).
- PLGM: Papers of Roy Pilgrim on armament research, catalogued in 2015-16 (1 file).