Due to the Archives Centre's continuing cataloguing programme, we are making more material available to researchers all the time. Additions continue to be made to our miscellaneous papers (MISC) and to the Additional Churchill Papers (WCHL). Papers which have been closed are also opened regularly, mainly in January each year.
In 2003 the Archives Centre began a programme to provide online information on all our collections. By May 2004 we had information available for 50 per cent of these. By February 2005 this number was up to 70 per cent and we finally achieved our goal of 100 per cent by February 2006. These online finding aids are available on the Janus webserver which provides access to catalogues of archives and manuscripts held in Cambridge.
The following list of newly-available papers, which will continue to be updated as more papers are opened up, only includes openings or new cataloguing of significant amounts of material: for the full list of our collections, see our Full Guide.
Guide to holdings
- CARD : Papers of Admiral Sir Sackville Carden, mainly relating to the First World War and Carden's service as the naval commander at the Dardanelles, catalogued in 2019 (6 boxes).
- RDCH : Additional papers of Randolph Churchill, relating to the writing of the official biography of Sir Winston Churchill, catalogued in 2019 (24 boxes).
- SALT : Papers of Lord Salter, catalogued in 2018 (20 boxes).
- EDWS : Papers of Sir Robert Edwards, Professor of Human Reproduction, on in vitro fertilisation, catalogued in 2019 (141 boxes).
- NBKR AS : Material relating to Philip Noel-Baker and global nuclear disarmament, catalogued in 2019 (11 boxes).
- MCHL : Papers of Mary, Lady Soames, daughter of Sir Winston Churchill, catalogued in 2014-18, opened in 2019 (233 boxes).
- SOAM : Papers of Lord Soames, catalogued in 2018, opened in 2019 (109 boxes).
- FLAD : Papers and correspondence from Sir Winston Churchill's solicitors, catalogued in 2018, opened in 2019 (6 boxes).
- POLL : Further papers of Enoch Powell, including photographs and the papers of Pamela Powell, catalogued in 2018-19 (7 boxes).
- PLLN : Further papers of the inventor, naval engineer and journalist Arthur Pollen, catalogued in 2018-19 (36 boxes).
- WARN : Papers on Suzanne Warner's work for the Central Policy Review Staff, 1971-4, and about her memoir of Victor Rothschild, catalogued in 2018 (8 boxes).
- MADD : Papers of the radiochemist Alfred Maddock on wartime nuclear research, catalogued in 2018 (2 boxes).
- KNNY : Papers of the diplomats Rowland and Kit Kenney on Norway and Finland, catalogued in 2018 (14 boxes).
- MISC 109 : Papers of the astronomer Professor Craig Mackay, relating to the first radio detection of pulsars, catalogued in 2018 (1 box).
- SPRG : Papers of the Labour politician Nigel Spearing, catalogued in 2018 (12 boxes).
- HLNN : Papers of Admiral of the Fleet Lord Hill-Norton, mainly on military and defence issues, catalogued in 2018 (23 boxes).
- MITN AS: Press cuttings relating to Vasiliy Mitrokhin, catalogued in 2018 (1 file).
- GORD: Four notes written in Arabic by General Gordon while besieged in Khartoum, catalogued in 2018 (4 items).
- SALM: The papers of Vanda Salmon, secretary to Sir Winston Churchill and Nancy Astor, catalogued in 2018 (19 boxes).
- SPRS: Photograph albums of Sir Edward Spears, opened in 2018 (16 boxes).
- HMTN: Diaries of the writer and MP Mary Agnes Hamilton, catalogued in 2018 (1 box).
- NEWB: Papers of John Newbigin, former policy adviser to Neil Kinnock, catalogued in 2018 (2 boxes).
- KEYN: Further papers of the physiologist Professor Richard Keynes, catalogued in 2018 (56 boxes).
- DIAC: Correspondence of Lady Diana Cooper and her son, John Julius Norwich, catalogued in 2017 (13 boxes).
- BTEY: Papers of the wartime codebreaker Mavis Batey, catalogued in 2017 (2 boxes).
- BARA: Series of scrapbooks recording the work on human embryology carried out by Professor Robert Edwards and his colleagues, 1955-2009, opened in 2017 (11 volumes).
- HPSN: The papers of the soldier and diplomat Sir Donald Hopson, catalogued in 2017 (7 boxes).
- POLL AS 3: Recordings of interviews made and used by Simon Heffer for his biography of Enoch Powell, "Like the Roman", catalogued in 2017 (44 recordings).
- SEAG: Papers relating to Anne Seagrim's relationship with C P Snow, opened in 2017 (27 files).