Churchill College, the national and Commonwealth memorial to Sir Winston Churchill and one of the colleges of the University of Cambridge, admitted its first students in 1960. It has a special statutory bias towards science and technology because of Sir Winston Churchill’s desire to rectify the shortage of technological education in the UK.
There are several printed articles and books on the history and buildings of Churchill College which are detailed in a bibliography.
Professor Anthony Kelly has written a presentation on the College’s first generation of famous scientists which is available here. Read Presentation (PDF)
The College’s prehistory spans the 1950s: various schemes for technological education were discussed, including possible postgraduate training schemes at Cranfield Aeronautical College and Birmingham University, before a suggestion was made in 1957 to found a new college in Cambridge bearing Sir Winston’s name. The first appeal for funds was launched in May 1958, and a large part of the College’s endowment was acquired from British and American industry because of the College’s intention to maintain strong links with industry and because of its link with the name of Sir Winston Churchill.
The College Archives are a separate entity to the Churchill Archives Centre however, we have a close relationship with them and they display many of our items due to the close working relationship.
College Archives Items
The College's archives are administered separately from the Churchill Archives Centre and are classified under the following categories:
These include records of the College’s Council and Governing Body from 1959 to date. They also include papers of some of the individual Trustees who raised the money to establish the College and undertook its early administration (such as Lord Knollys, Lord Todd and Sir John Colville).
These include records pertaining to property, personnel, finances, and fundraising. They also include records relating to buildings and grounds (including the chapel), College artwork and records relating to the Churchill Archives Centre.
These include records relating to: Students, Fellows, Admissions, Teaching, Examinations and Degrees
Clubs and Societies
These include records of College sports, social and dramatic clubs and societies.
They also include the records of The Churchill Group, which was active from 1980 to ca. 1990 and aimed to promote the efficient use of graduates as employees, especially in small businesses.
Historical Reference Records
This collection brings together publications, historical articles and reminiscences, drawings and artefacts about the College or events or people connected with it. This includes records relating to special events, a substantial collection of press cuttings and the College’s Oral History project.
The College’s Oral History Project includes a number of recordings made in the 1980s and 1990s with key Fellows and members of staff involved in the setting up of the College in the early 1960s and 1970s. These recordings are now being supplemented by further recordings which capture reminiscences of these early days of the College.
These include photographs of the following: Students, Fellows Buildings and grounds, Special events (including Churchill’s visit in 1959) and Sports events.
These are chiefly papers of individual fellows relating to College administration. They include:
- Papers of Dr Norman Kendall, 1953-62, relating to the College’s prehistory, namely the schemes for postgraduate technological education at Cranfield Aeronautical College and Birmingham University which predated the decision to found a new college in Cambridge.
- Papers of Dr Kenneth McQuillen, Founding Fellow and Vice Master.
Most of the archives are fully catalogued, and access to the records is permitted to researchers, with the exception of those records containing personal, confidential or sensitive information. However, due to restrictions on space, enquiries are dealt with by post or e-mail wherever possible. For further information, please contact:
Telephone: (01223) 336087
Fax: (01223) 336177