General Admission 2023
General Admission is the ceremony at which most undergraduates proceed to their first degree at the end of their final term.
After reading the information below, please complete the booking form by Monday 1 May 2023 in order to graduate. You should do this even if you are unsure of accommodation or ticket requirements; you can always get in contact at a later date if you need to make changes to your booking.
Graduation in Person
In-person General Admission for Churchill College will occur on Saturday 1 July 2023.
Graduation in Absence
You may also graduate in absence on Saturday 1 July 2023. Please note: if you choose to graduate in absence, you will not be able to return to graduate in person in the future
The Graduands’ Dinner in College will be held on the evening of Friday 30 June 2023 and will include three courses with wine, followed by cheese and port. The dinner will be free of charge for Graduands, but places must be booked. Graduands are invited to bring up to two guests at a charge of £41.00 per guest, you may also ask to go on a waiting list should extra spaces become available. In previous years we have been able to accommodate most extra guests, but until bookings close we will not be able to guarantee this.
The Graduation Lunch will begin at around 11:30am (to be confirmed) on Saturday 1 July and will be garden party style. You must book tickets for yourself and any guests to attend this lunch. The first two guest tickets are free, however additional Guest tickets will be charged at £24.30 per person (free for under 5s), but the lunch is free for those graduating. There is no limit to the number of lunch guests you may book but all guests must be booked in as this event is ticketed.
DRAFT Timetable For Graduation
Friday 30th June 2023
- 6.30 pm: Service of Thanksgiving and Dedication for Graduands at the Chapel at Churchill College (optional, but all Graduands and their guests welcome).
- 7.00 pm: Drinks Reception on the Jock Colville Lawn (Concourse if wet).
- 7.30 pm: Graduands’ Dinner in the Dining Hall. Dress code: smart day wear/lounge suits (no gowns).
Saturday 1st July 2023
- 7.00 am: Breakfast available in the Dining Hall.
- 8.00 am: Full Dress Rehearsal in the Wolfson Hall. Please be properly dressed as for the Graduation Ceremony. Guests are very welcome to attend.
- Approx. 9.15 am: College Graduand Group Photograph will take place by the Hepworth Statue.
The photograph will be ready to view on your return from the Senate House.
Graduands to assemble outside the Porters’ Lodge and walk in procession to the Senate House, accompanied by the Praelector and Head Porter.
- 10.35 am: Guests should make their own way to the Senate House to arrive by 10.35 at the latest. Please note: seating is allocated on a first-come, first-served basis and guest admission may not be permitted after 10.35.
- 10.40 am: Graduands will arrive by 10.40.
- 10:50 am: The Degree Ceremony will commence
- 11.30 am: The Degree Ceremony will end
- 12 noon onwards: Buffet Lunch available from various serving points in College. Maps will be displayed in the Buttery/Bar area giving details. Seating will be provided both inside and outside the College (weather permitting).
- 1.30-3.30 pm: Special display in the Reading Rooms of the Churchill Archives Centre, above the Jock Colville Hall (tbc).
- 12.15–4.30 pm: Jet Photographic studio in the Club Room or on the lawn if weather permits.
Important Notes for Completing the Booking Form
Dinner and Lunch Bookings
You must book online to attend the Graduands’ Dinner on Friday 30 June and graduation lunch on Saturday 1 July.
Bookings will close on Monday 1 May.
Please ensure you enter any dietary requirements into the booking form, for yourself and for any guests.
Graduands will be permitted up to two Senate House guest tickets; please sign up on the booking form to be added to the waiting list for an extra ticket. Should extra tickets become available, a random draw will be made from the names on the waiting list.
Staying on for a Fourth Year: Failsafe Application
Students intending to stay on for a fourth-year course must submit a failsafe application to graduate in the event that they do not achieve the required qualification for that course. Please note, it is your responsibility to withdraw from graduation in good time by contacting the Tutorial Office once results are known so you may proceed to that course.
Failure to do so may lead to your graduating in absence, rendering you ineligible to join your course.
Students staying on for a fourth year should also remember to contact the Tutorial Office email@example.com as soon as possible if they wish to cancel a lunch or dinner booking, or they may be charged.
Ceremony and Dress Code
Information about the ceremony and dress code is on our graduation page.
Your address should be likely to find you for some years in order to receive invitations to reunions and events, details of your MA graduation where applicable, and publications from Churchill. It will also be used for sending you your official transcript following graduation. Please notify the Alumni Office of any subsequent changes of address, which you can do by completing a simple online form or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. You should also update this information on CamSIS.
Your Cambridge email address will expire shortly after graduation. Please supply a personal email address so that we can contact you.
Accommodation for Graduands
Graduands should contact the Accommodation Office with their departure date. You should also contact the accommodation office with any questions relating to accommodation.
Enquiries and Changes
Please contact the Tutorial Office if you have any catering queries or need to make changes to existing bookings.
You can book accommodation online via the College website via the link below
Enter the promotional code KX52815 (which will give you the Graduation discounted rate for the stay), the dates you are looking for, the number of guests you are booking the room for
If you are looking for an earlier arrival date or a later departure date, please contact the Accommodation Office and they will be happy to check further availability for you.
Please note, once a different rate is booked without the code, we cannot change it back to the discounted rate.
Please kindly make sure you read the online booking terms as we are using Speedybooker / University Rooms for our online bookings.
Bookings for guest accommodation will close on 18 June 2023
Sorry, the sign-up period for this event is now closed.