Wired internet access

What you will need

No matter what type of computer you are connecting to the network, you will need the following items:

A computer name and IP address

You must apply for these by filling in an application form, linked below.

Wired Internet Access Application Form

You will then receive an email from computing@chu.cam.ac.uk which specifies all the information you will need to connect your computer to the network.

You must NOT attempt to connect your computer to the network before you receive the pink notification form; any attempt to do so is liable to cause problems on the network.

A network interface card

This needs to be capable of running at 10Mbps or 100Mbps. The card MUST have an RJ45-style socket for connection to the network. Some modern laptops do not have ethernet ports on them, so you must purchase a suitable adapter to be able to use the wired connection – for example USB to ethernet or Thunderbolt to ethernet for the most recent Apple MacBooks.

A patch cable

This needs to be a straight-through, Category 5e or 6, UTP cable, with an RJ45-style plug on each end. One end goes to your ethernet adapter, the other end goes to the network socket on the wall in your room. If you have two similar-looking sockets on your wall, you need to use the socket marked “D” for Data, or with a computer icon. The other socket is marked “V” for Voice, or with a telephone icon. If the sockets are not labelled, you will normally need to use the left-hand one. The Sheppard and Wolfson Flats have sockets available in multiple areas of each flat; usually the left hand one of each pair should be used.

Please note: You may wish to use your own card and cable, but if so please be sure to use a good quality cable. Poor quality cables are likely cause you problems, and they may also cause problems for others using the network.

How to set up your computer

The side links to the left include instructions for setting up your computer with the wired network for several operating systems.